Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Murder at the Brightwell by Ashley Weaver

One of the most common questions I get asked is "I'm missing Downton Abbey. What can I read that will take me there again?" There are so many books to read in this genre, but as I have found not all of them live up to their promises. I have, however, found a charming mystery series that makes me feel like Downton again.

Murder at the Brightwell by Ashley Weaver is the first in what is now a three book series or will be. New book out in October I think. It's perfect. It's so well written and it draws you in from the beginning.

Amory Aims is a great heroine and sleuth. I also want her wardrobe although I think I'd need to have her tall, slender body to pull most of it off. But that's not the point. Amory is helping out her ex-fiance to try to convince his sister that she shouldn't marry the man she loves. Gil, the ex-fiance, thinks the man is rounder and no good. Amory knows something about this because her husband, the one she ditched Gil for, is always traveling about doing things with other women. What happens is Rupert, the sister's love, is found dead and it looks like Gil did it.

The story that unfolds is wonderful. This is one of those books that I savor. I know so many people find a book they love and read it in hours, but when I find a book that I really enjoy. One that has a style and plot line that grab me, I tend to savor it. I read a bit here and a bit there because I don't want the book to end. Although as I write this there are two more novels so I could read faster and still have something to look forward to later.

If you want to be embraced by the world that was Downton Abbey I highly recommend this series. Here's hoping Ashley gets to write many more.

No comments:

Post a Comment