Saturday, July 16, 2016

Nostalgia

I don't know how many of you know that I am an adult reference librarian at an urban library. The other day I was giving one of my colleagues a break and he was working in children's. He was looking for a book by Elizabeth George Speare and couldn't find it, so I took up looking for it and while I was standing in the children's section I saw The Witch of Blackbird Pond. I remember this book well from my childhood.It was one of my favorites and I remember reading it over and over again.

I decided to check it out and have begun reading it. I forgot how well a storyteller Elizabeth is. Once again I found myself wrapped up in Kit's story. There I am riding on the ship with Nat around climbing the rigging. So it made me think about my favorite childhood books. I decided that I would ask my godmother/aunt if she would buy me hardback versions of my favorite childhood books. 

Here are my top ten:

The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare
The Search for Delicious by Natalie Babbit
The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi
The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
A Break with Charity by Ann Rinaldi
The Story of Dr. Doolittle by Hugh Lofting
The Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatley Snyder
From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E L Koningsburg
The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery
The Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Anderson....and yes, the one where she dies. 

So along with newer novels, older novels, favorites, and such I will also be reviewing some of these childhood classics. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. 

What are your favorite childhood novels? What would you like to read again? 

2 comments:

  1. I took BEDKNOBS AND BROOMSTICKS by Mary Norton out of the BML many times. I was allowed to go to the library by myself, and walked the two blocks through they alleys. It was like an adventure! BML had this huge metal double door with pull rings. It was difficult for me to open the right hand door, but I would! Such a victory! To this day I can hear the creaky sound the door made when opened in my mind's ear, and the noise of the door shutting behind me, the ring rattling. I loved those doors!

    There was another book about the Thousand Islands that I loved...can't remember the title!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How interesting. I don't think I ever knew it was a book, but I have since found out, after a little librarian research, that it is two books that were merged into one. The fist is The Magic Bed-Knob and the second is Bonfires and Broomsticks. I have checked it out of the library to read and now kind of want to buy the movie too.

      Delete