Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Questions From My Friend

For today's posts I asked a friend who was in a reading rut to tell me what he wanted to read and I'd make recommendations for him.

Here you go, Thomas!

Thomas: Over the last several years, I've come to really enjoy historical fantasy. Orson Schoot Card's Tales of Alvin Maker, Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel's Legacy, Michelle Sargara West's Sun Sword Archive, and Naomi Novik's Temeraire use historical research and settings to create compelling fantasy stories of alternate realities. What historical fantasy is available with settings different from these?

Rachel: Okay, so this is a little off topic, but I've got a book that could be historical fantasy and I really enjoy it. To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis. There's time travel and a throwback to Jerome K. Jerome's Three Men in a Boat to Say Nothing of the Dog, which is one of my favorite underrated books.

Thomas: My husband and I like to listen to young adult fiction audiobooks on long car trips. We need things that are about 6, 12, or 20  hours (or a combination that come close to one of these lengths) with an entertaining story and clear voice. (Higher pitched voices tend to be easier to hear over road noise.)

Rachel: Here's I'm going to recommend two trilogies. The first is The Magician Trilogy by Jenny Nimo. The Snow Spider, Emlyn's Moon, and The Chestnut Soldier. All are based on old Welsh mythology that is updated for modern times. Also the Blue Balliett trilogy starting with Chasing Vermeer, then The Calder Game, and it ends with The Wright 3. A combination of art theft, mystery, and math. How can you go wrong?


No comments:

Post a Comment